Sunday, October 1, 2017

GRADUATION UNTO ETERNAL LIFE 1

Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. (2 Timothy 3:7)

When he was known as Saul he had learned from the doctrines of the strictest of the Pharisees. Once he had his miraculous vision of the Savior and baptism by Ananias he went to Arabia where he learned the principles of the gospel before starting his marvelous mission which laid the foundation for Christ’s Church throughout most of the Roman Empire.

Saul/Paul not only had a personal testimony from his own experiences about forever being in the process of learning, but never coming to a knowledge of the truth. He also learned during his mission experiences that mankind spent an inordinate amount of time learning and practicing many things which actually led them away from the truth.

As I examine my own journey along the paths of learning it doesn't take me long to realize that even though I had the privilege of having a lifelong career of teaching the gospel, the scales never the less were over weighted on the side of learning how to sustain life, the principles and practices of a successful life and under weighted on coming to a knowledge of Eternal Truths!!

As Kathleen is fond of reminding me, at the age of almost 80 I believe with all my heart that if we were able to examine the curriculum of the work and glory of God designed to teach us how to become as He is, it would not even vaguely resemble the one most of us experience during our mortal sojourn.

Besides being reared by wonderful parents, I had a formal education which started in the Roy, Utah Elementary School, continued at Lincoln Elementary in Pocatello, Idaho, had years in the school systems of American Falls, Idaho, Long Beach, California and I graduated for Garden Grove Union High School which of course is in Garden Grove, California.

My post high school education included time at Fort Ord, California, where I learned the spirit of the bayonet before advancing to being trained as a clerk typist. I attended the somewhat higher and higher institutions of Santa Ana Junior College (Its official name in 1958 when I attended), California State College at Fullerton (Also its official name when I attended that institution in 1962 -63) and Brigham Young University where Kathleen helped me gain a Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctorate degrees.

These classroom experiences were interrupted for a couple of years as I served a mission in Mexico and learned a lot about the facts of life of which I was previously unaware and I gained a tremendous love for my Mexican brothers and sisters.

I have written this overview, which probably has held the attention of very few of the readers of this thought only to stress the point that in all probability, although all of these educational experiences provided me with a happy and fruitful mortal life, there was very little included in these experiences which prepared or qualified me for Eternal Life.

I had a feeling when I started thinking about this Thought it was going to be one of those which would end up extending over several Sundays. Therefore, I hope after this rather extensive introductory Thought, you will desire to read the rest of the Thoughts in this series.

In order to validate the principle of Agency during mortality we retain very little remembrance of the curriculum of our premortal estate. We have been taught that it included an explanation of Heavenly Father’s Plan, a lot of discussion and bickering over points of disagreement, the ability to use our Agency whether we accepted the Plan, and probably the use of agency in showing our faithfulness and abilities for leadership.

Even though we have never been given a class schedule or an outline of Heavenly Father’s Earthly Learning Plan, I have pondered what that plan might look like if we were privileged to have a copy. I think, and remember I admit to walking on very unstable ground, it would involve three major levels of eternal progression about which we have the possibility of beginning to learn and start to inculcate into our lives during mortality.

The first I have chosen to call Shedding my Telestialness.

The second I have chosen to call Clothing myself with Terrestrialness.

The third I have chosen to call Receiving the attributes of Celestialness or Becoming like Heavenly Father through His Grace.


As a certified people watcher and observer of the habits, goings and comings of humankind, it seems that much like the dropout rates which exist in our formal educational institutions, we find that fewer and fewer of us continue to be involved with classroom education the further up the ladder we are required to climb. Just as a side note, I understand that as far as worldly learning is concerned there is not a direct correlation between the amount of book learning (I guess we still understand the meaning of those words in this technological age) we have had and the distance we will progress along the path of success in life.

However, there seems to be very direct correlation between how much of Heavenly Father’s Eternal Curriculum we assimilate during our lives and what we will have with us in the phase of our existence which follows our passing from mortality.

Whatever principle of intelligence (Knowledge of and adhering to the principles in Heavenly Fathers Eternal Curriculum) we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection. And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence (Knowledge of and adhering to the principles in Heavenly Fathers Eternal Curriculum) in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come. (Doctrine and Covenants 130: 18, 19)

Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
(2 Timothy 3:7)

(To be continued)

THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment