Sunday, April 15, 2018

ADDED UPON 4

As we continue our learning examination of Lehi having his vision of life added upon because of his diligence in obeying the Lord, we find his son Nephi being moved to know more of his father’s dream and therefore goes forth to inquire of the Lord.

Because of the miraculous vision Nephi obtained we are left to conclude that he, like his father, fulfilled all the requirements needed to be blessed with additional light and knowledge.

Since we don't have any of father Lehi’s own writings of his dream of the Tree of Life, we cannot know whether the additional information Nephi gives us after being led through the dream by the Spirit of the Lord was also had by his father or not. What we do know is that we receive a much clearer understanding of the symbols of the dream because of Nephi’s heavenly interview.

As I outline the symbols of their dream, I have no desire to either change the teachings of the Spirit of the Lord to Nephi, or influence any insights those who are reading this Thought might have received, but I do feel a need to add some of my own personal understandings, which hopefully will add upon and not diminish.

ROD OF IRON

I begin with this symbol because it is directly related to the theme we have been following concerning The Word of God and how His children can receive it during their mortal lives.

I have had an interesting personal journey with this symbol. I am absolutely convinced that holding fast to the Word of God in our lives is the safest and surest way to keep from straying from the gospel path.

Like so many I have met, I have also had periods of my life when I relied much more heavily upon one source of the Word of God over another. However, at this stage of my life I firmly believe in a much more inclusive library than I did as a youth.

I now believe the Word of God to be found in what is recognized as the Standard Works in the Restored Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and The Pearl of Great Price), but I also believe the Word of God is to be found in every word which flows from the inspired mouths of Apostles and Prophets and I believe the Word of God which comes to me when any of His children are moved upon and speak by the power of the Holy Spirit and I believe the Word of God to be those inspirational whisperings of the Holy Spirit which come when I am being added upon by personal revelation.

Because of the extensive additions which have taken place to the meaning of the Word of God during my earthly journey I am grateful that there has been a corresponding growth and strength to my being. I am grateful for hands which can grasp the rod with greater strength and feet which are planted more firmly upon the path and ears which listen more intently to the Word of God and eyes which see more clearly where my walk is leading.


FOUNTAIN OF LIVING WATERS

I am sure it has been more than a majority of my life when I felt that this other reference to the Word of God was a bit redundant. Of course, I have always understood the Fountain of Living Waters were the source and the Iron Rod was what we already possessed, but a careful reading of Nephi’s account also tells us the Living Waters also represent the Love of God.

This reference to the Living Waters as the Love of God was one of the more significant added upon moments in my searching of the scriptures. I of a sudden realized that we did not need to wait until we reached the Tree of Life and partook of the Fruit thereon to feel of the Love of God. When the understanding that the Fountain is forever flowing finally penetrated into my mind, I also quickly understood that if I can become sensitive to it I can feel the Love of God fill my being during the journey to the Tree.

This was a very important revelation in my personal journey, because I had always wondered why my personal experiences fell short of the feelings I would read in the testimonies of The Psalmist, The Preacher and the Prophets. I was even more distraught when I would read of Saints who lived during periods when the fullness of the gospel was not on the earth who rehearsed with great fervor their sensations of feeling the Love of God flowing from the Fountain of Living Waters into their beings.

I am grateful for the moments of having this Living Water fill my soul with His love during those periods of my life when it was most needed.

TREE OF LIFE

There seems to be a similarity between the Love of God we feel which flows from the Fountain of Living Waters as it relates to the Love of God represented by the Tree of Life and the relationship between the Holy Spirit which is available to everyone who comes into mortality and one who receives the Gift of the Holy Ghost. The one seems to make occasional visits into our awareness while the other takes up permanent residency.

There have been moments when the Love of God has seemed to fill my soul to capacity, but regretfully, I still feel like most of the time I am still traversing the path leading to the Tree of Life. I know there is something I yet lack.

FRUIT OF THE TREE OF LIFE.

Once again we seem to have a redundancy when referencing the Love of God. However this time we have something which is ingested, nourishes us and becomes of permanency in our beings. The sadness which Lehi felt for Laman and Lemuel was not that they had approached the Tree, but that they refused to partake of the fruit.

There seems to be such a permanency to interaction with the Love of God for those who have come to the Tree of Life and actually partaken of the Fruit. I have come to the conclusion that when that happens, there will be no doubt in the recipients mind that they have been filled with the Love of God. I suspect it is much akin to The More Sure Word of Prophesy which seals one unto Eternal Life.

PAINTING OF THE TREE OF LIFE DREAM

Many years ago I was presented with a copy of a painting by Arnold Freiberg which depicted his interpretation of Lehi’s Tree of Life Dream. The thing which struck me as being unique about this painting was that the Tree was in the middle of the painting and far in the distance was a glow which to me represented the Everlasting Light of Eternal Life, which is the ultimate destination.

This new perspective opened a wonderful understanding, into my mind, which helped me realize The Rod of Iron, The Fountain of Living Waters, The Tree of Life and the Fruit of the Tree which all represented the Love of God were the very means of our being aided by degrees in our return journey to the Fullness of His Love, which Lehi understood was that Joy which accompanies the overcoming of the Fall brought about by the agency of Mother Eve and Father Adam.


My exploration of Lehi’s Tree of Life Dream is about exhausted, but some of you may have noted I have yet to address the negative portion of his dream. Hopefully in the last installment of this continued Thought I will be able to explain why I have waited to the end to address the dark side of our attempts to understand the gift of continual Added Upon experiences during our lives.
(
To be continued)


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment