Sunday, April 29, 2018

ASK

There is little doubt what my answer has always been, is and will probably always be when I am asked if there are any of the opportunities I have had in life that I would just as soon not have had. There are times when I might hedge a bit being influenced by who it might be who is doing the asking, but the truthful answer will always be, the role of being asked to give counsel on an individual basis.

There will be many who attended my classes over the years, who will probably scoff at the thought of my being hesitant about giving counsel, but it was never a problem when I was in front of a class or speaking in public, it was just when I was in a one on one situation. The only difference I can put my finger on is during classes I was deciding on and distributing the advice in a general manner which students could do with what they wished. However, in those intimate sessions people wanted relevant and needed words.

Most of the counselling periods I endured usually started out with the counselee going through a litany of shortcomings and weaknesses which they wanted to overcome so that they would be able to have the same degree of success as they thought others were having. The list is too extensive to include all the handicaps, but they included too short, too tall, not enough education, too much education and there was a lot of being a product of poor parenting, never being understood, someone else having been born with a golden spoon in their mouth, just not having the spiritual capacity as others and on and on and on.

Although I usually multiplied words way beyond what was necessary they usually left with some sort of wisdom which would fall in one of the following areas: ‘God doesn’t make juke’ (this may or may not have been my own), ‘pull yourself up by your bootstraps’ (definitely one from my mother) or ‘there is nothing to be gained from comparing crosses’ (borrowed from Elder Neal A. Maxwell).

I am sure there was other abundant sage-ness given during the extensive opportunity I was given to be involved in these exchanges, but it always seemed to evolve from someone feeling they had been given the short end of the stick.

Here and there in his writings I get the feeling Nephi tires of his elder brothers’ constantly bemoaning the fact that they were not as favored by their earthly or Heavenly Parents as was Nephi. After having been visited by the angel and having had his father’s dream explained and expanded, he returned to his father’s tent to be greeted by his inquiring brothers who lamented in response to the Nephi’s question if they had inquired of the Lord, that ‘they had not; for the Lord maketh no such thing known unto us’. (1 Nephi 15: 9)

I am not fond of making absolute statements, but even though we may differ in stature, educational opportunities, familial experiences along with all the other differences we encounter in life, I know that the rules for receiving answers to our queries unto the Lord are equally and universally given freely to all when the proper conditions are met. It may be easier for someone of the stature of Goliath to excel in basketball and it may be easier for someone with a doctorate from Harvard to become CEO of some mega conglomerate, none of these qualify us for the blessing of continual inspiration from God. If my experience is typical, being blessed with gargantuan physicality or unusual educational degrees often becomes a deterrent to having the heaven’s opened and pure knowledge being showered upon one. It takes but a short experience among those the world considers the humble of the earth to come to the understanding that their communication with Heavenly Angels seems usual to them.

It has not been, is not, nor ever will be Heavenly Father who clogs the revelatory lines between Himself and His children, but it has been, is and always will be we who build up the barriers.

Following the woeful protestation of Laman and Lemuel of the Lord not including them in the universal link available to all of Heavenly Father’s children, Nephi gives the following formula which in just a few words explains why some do have this open communication and some don’t.

Behold, I said unto them: How is it that ye do not keep the commandments of the Lord? How is it that ye will perish, because of the hardness of your hearts? Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?—If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you.
(1 Nephi 15: 10, 11)

Sadly, although we are reminded numerous times in the revealed word the perils of failing to adhere to formulas because they appear to be too simple, ‘way too many of us want to complicate and glorify the way and end up lost in the Mists of Darkness or shouting disparaging words from the balconies of the Great and Spacious building.

As he was nearing the end of his time on earth Nephi expounded on this wonderful gift concerning the open lines of communication between Heavenly Father and His mortal children.

And now, behold, my beloved brethren, I suppose that ye ponder somewhat in your hearts concerning that which ye should do after ye have entered in by the way. But, behold, why do ye ponder these things in your hearts?

Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye had received the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the tongue of angels? And now, how could ye speak with the tongue of angels save it were by the Holy Ghost?

Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.

Wherefore, now after I have spoken these words, if ye cannot understand them it will be because ye ask not, neither do ye knock; wherefore, ye are not brought into the light, but must perish in the dark.

For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.
(2 Nephi 32: 1-5)

Another principle of which I have gained a great deal of certainty, is that if in all of those counselling sessions I had been wise enough to ask those I was with if they had inquired of the Lord, I might have had a better experience and for sure they would have received better guidance.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment