Sunday, September 2, 2018

GREAT ARE THE WORDS OF ISAIAH 2

Chapters 6, 7, and 8 of Second Nephi are based on the verses found in the book of Isaiah chapters 50, 51 and 52. As I mentioned in a previous Thought when covering these chapters in the Book of Mormon which correspond with the words found in the writings of Isaiah I will use the following guidelines; first, that I might succeed in my efforts to demonstrate what Nephi was trying to have his people understand from the passages of Isaiah he was quoting; second, I will be able to faithfully include Elder Bruce R. McConkie’s chapter preface statements in the English LDS edition of the Bible with some additional brief personal comments which will not distract from his interpretation of Isaiah’s words; third, that I might succeed in my efforts to communicate a very personal meaning I am receiving at the moment; and fourth, that perhaps I might succeed in my efforts to provide a stimulus for whoever might be reading my Thoughts that week to seek their own individual instructions from the words of Isaiah.

For a more extensive declaration of how I am treating the passages of Isaiah recorded in the Book of Mormon you might want to review the Thought I published on Sunday, June 24, 2018 which can be found on my blog pages by searching Thoughts for a Sabbath Day on the internet.

Nephi’s purpose for using these passages of Isaiah

In this instance Nephi proclaims his purpose as a preamble to reading the words of Isaiah from the Brass Plates of Laban, which was a departure from his usual method of reading and then explaining.

After stating his right by ordained authority to teach and assuring his people that his desire when speaking is solely for their welfare and to glorify God, in chapter 6 of Second Nephi, Nephi, pinpoints the following as principles and teachings his people should look for as he reads the words from the writing of Isaiah.

He reminds them that they are of the House of Israel and that the words of Isaiah have special meaning for those of the House of Israel.

He teaches that Isaiah sees the gentile nations in the latter days becoming a standard to Lehi’s descendants and their kings and queens nursemaids.

He mentions that they will find in the writings of Isaiah that the Lord God of Israel would manifest Himself unto them in the flesh and mentions
the trial and suffering He would undergo for them.

He tells them to look for Isaiah words prophesying that the House of Israel would be scattered upon the earth, but in connection with the Gentiles coming unto the God of Israel, they would be gathered once again.

He introduces the word Zion to them as a place and a people who repent and wait upon the coming of the Messiah.

He talks of the Messiah coming a second time in great glory and power. A time when those who do not believe in Him shall be destroyed by Fire while the covenant people shall be delivered.

Bruce R. McConkie’s chapter preface statements

Chapter 50

The Messiah shall have the tongue of the learned.

The Messiah shall give His back to the smiters.

The Messiah shall not be confounded.


Chapter 51

In the last days the Lord shall comfort Israel.

In the last days the redeemed shall come to Zion amid great joy.


Chapter 52

In the last days Zion shall return and Israel shall be redeemed.

The Messiah shall deal prudently and be exalted.


My efforts to communicate a very personal meaning I am receiving at the moment of writing this Thought

There is no doubt that the words found in Second Nephi chapter 8 verses 24 and 25, as Nephi reads from Isaiah chapter 52 verses 1 and 2, had the
greatest impact on me as I was reviewing these chapters.

Awake, awake, put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city; for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean. Shake thyself from the dust; arise, sit down, O Jerusalem; loose thyself from the bands of thy neck, O
captive daughter of Zion.


While reading these verses I was struck with the thought that although His mission was prophesied of, written about and testified of by those who were touched during His earthly mission, sustained by the multiple testimonies which have been given since His atoning sacrifice along with the personal witnesses we have received from the Holy Spirit, yet we continue to slumber in so many ways.

There are definitely moments when I am wide awake, but all too often I find myself in a semi-state of consciousness about the eternal importance of Jesus the Christ as the actuator of the Creation under the guiding hand of His Father, the Lord who led the Children of Israel in ancient days, He who manifested Himself to the descendants of Lehi in the Americas after His resurrection and the author of the Restoration in the Latter Days and,
therefore, I find myself in need of Isaiah’s alarm to awaken.

When fully awake I am more conscious of the covenants I have made, I am more aware of He whose name I have chosen to take upon me, I strive to avoid that which would cause me to become unclean and I feel free from the bonds which might enslave and captivate.

It is in these moments when I can add my feeble testimony to Nephi’s, great are the words of Isaiah.

Efforts to provide a stimulus for whoever might be reading my Thoughts this week to seek their own individual instructions from the words of Isaiah

I have a solemn testimony that the words of Isaiah as well as the words of all scripture are of most benefit when they speak to us individually and sink deeply into those areas of our beings which need to profit from learning about the purposes of our existence and which will inspire us to align our thoughts, words and actions with the gospel of Jesus the Christ.

GREAT ARE THE WORDS OF ISAIAH


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment