Sunday, September 9, 2018

SAVORING THE WORDS OF ISAIAH

(Book of Mormon – 2 Nephi – Chapters 9, 10, 11) 1

Although Nephi had spoken briefly, in an introduction of what he felt was important in the chapters of Isaiah we wrote about last week, he followed the reading of chapters 50, 51 and 52 of Isaiah to his people with an amplified discourse on four main subjects which he wanted to stress from his reading.

The Eternal and Atoning Mission of Jesus the Christ.

The purposes of Satan as He acts against the children of God during their mortal span.

Prophesies about the last sacrifice of the Savior during mortality, His mission to the Americas and the preserving of the Americas as a land of freedom.

The Law of Moses as a type for Jesus the Christ.


It only took a few minutes of scanning the contents of chapters 9, 10 and 11 of Second Nephi for me to realize that it would take more than one Thought for me to do justice to Nephi’s words.

In my latter years I have become a firm believer that the preparation for our eternal existence is a compilation of the growth we had as spirit children of our Heavenly Parents before our mortal birth, the growth we gain during our mortal journey and the growth we will gain in the next phase of our existence after passing from mortal death unto eternal life. I have also gained the conviction that the more I advance during each phase of my existence will give me an advantage during the next.
Maybe just a couple of scriptures to remind us of why I have these convictions:

Pearl of Great Price – Abraham 3:18-26

If there be two spirits, and one shall be more intelligent than the other, yet these two spirits, notwithstanding one is more intelligent than the other, have no beginning; they existed before, they shall have no end, they shall exist after, for they are gnolaum, or eternal.

And the Lord said unto me: These two facts do exist, that there are two spirits, one being more intelligent than the other; there shall be another more intelligent than they; I am the Lord thy God, I am more intelligent than they all. I dwell in the midst of them all; I now, therefore, have come down unto thee to declare unto thee the works which my hands have made, wherein my wisdom excelleth them all, for I rule in the heavens above, and in the earth beneath, in all wisdom and prudence, over all the intelligences thine eyes have seen from the beginning; I came down in the beginning in the midst of all the intelligences thou hast seen.

Now the Lord had shown unto me, Abraham, the intelligences that were organized before the world was; and among all these there were many of the
noble and great ones; And God saw these souls that they were good, and he stood in the midst of them, and he said: These I will make my rulers; for he stood among those that were spirits, and he saw that they were good; and he said unto me: Abraham, thou art one of them; thou wast chosen before thou wast born. And there stood one among them that was like unto God, and he said unto those who were with him: We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell. And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them; And they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.


Doctrine and Covenants – 130: 18-21

Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection. And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.

There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated — And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

We are also reminded through the scriptures that after passing through all the tests of all the phases of our existence, we have become glorified children of our Heavenly Parents, nothing shall be withheld from us.


Book of Mormon – Alma 5:58-60

For the names of the righteous shall be written in the book of life, and unto them will I grant an inheritance at my right hand. And now, my brethren, what have ye to say against this? I say unto you, if ye speak against it, it matters not, for the word of God must be fulfilled.

For what shepherd is there among you having many sheep doth not watch over them, that the wolves enter not and devour his flock? And behold, if a wolf enter his flock doth he not drive him out? Yea, and at the last, if he can, he will destroy him. And now I say unto you that the good shepherd doth call after you; and if you will hearken unto his voice he will bring you into his fold, and ye are his sheep; and he commandeth you that ye suffer no ravenous wolf to enter among you, that ye may not be destroyed.


One last thing is important to contemplate before writing about Nephi’s words. I have pondered upon why, just as Nephi does in these chapters, the living prophets who bless different generations of mortals speak with such anxiousness about doing all things right now, if we have eternities to grow into our eternal reward.

I think part of the reason is that they are good shepherds and are being diligent in their stewardships. Another reason I feel they speak with such anxiousness is that they know as Nephi knew, that we could not fulfill the purpose of our existence, which is to have joy, if we were not adhering to the doctrines and principles of the gospel.

Although, I have no doubt the Lord could bring to pass the salvation of others without my meager offering, another reason that the living prophets admonish with such urgency is that they know the magnitude of growth which can come from striving to bring others unto Jesus the Christ.

Doctrine and Covenants 18:14-17

Wherefore, you are called to cry repentance unto this people. And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father! And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!

Behold, you have my gospel before you, and my rock, and my salvation.


(to be continued)


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment