Sunday, February 24, 2019

IN WHAT IMAGE

These days, as I look in the mirror the person peering back at me reminds me more of my father than myself. I also have this same phenomena happen as I look at my sons who are in or approaching the second 50 year span of their mortality.

The thought has struck me that maybe when the Savior said: If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? (John 14: 7-9), whether he had similar thoughts as I have had about seeing my father’s face, when he saw his image reflected in the calm waters of the Sea of Galilee.

Shortly after Ammon and his 3 companions found the descendants of the Nephites who had gone with Zeniff to reclaim the lands of their fathers from the Lamanites he found himself being questioned by the grandson of Zeniff and current King of that group whose name was Limhi.

King Limhi was so overjoyed when he found out where Ammon and his companions had come from he sent out a proclamation that his people should gather at the temple. One of the interesting things Ammon taught them when the people were gathered was: And because he said unto them that Christ was the God, the Father of all things, and said that he should take upon him the image of man, and it should be the image after which man was created in the beginning; or in other words, he said that man was created after the image of God, and that God should come down among the children of men, and take upon him flesh and blood, and go forth upon the face of the earth. (Mosiah 7: 27)

Long before Sister Naomi Ward Randall blessed the world with her lyrics to the song ‘I am a child of God’ my mother had instilled this most important truth deep into my soul.

I am a child of God,
And he has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear.
I am a child of God,
And so my needs are great;
Help me to understand his words
Before it grows too late.
I am a child of God.
Rich blessings are in store;
If I but learn to do his will,
I’ll live with him once more.
I am a child of God.
His promises are sure;
Celestial glory shall be mine
If I can but endure.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.


I don’t think I was very far into my journey of developing a testimony of the gospel of Jesus the Christ before I grasped the concept that sharing the physical resemblance with my Heavenly Father was of far lesser importance than gaining His spiritual image.

Although I know we treat Heavenly Father’s children differently if we see His image in them, I also know the difference will be far more filled with love, grace and mercy if the way we treat them comes as a result of striving to take His spiritual image upon us.

With a world full of mirrors and cell phone selfies we never have to wait for the Sea of Galilee to calm, for us to be able to understand the transference of physical images between generations. Likewise, we should create individualized devices which will with constancy help us evaluate how well we are doing in the most important work of continuing our creation in our Father’s spiritual image.

It matters little whether my hair is brown or whether I have no hair at all

But it really matters if I serve my brother or sister or think of them not at all

It matters little whether my skin is fair or dark or shiny or dull

But it really matters whether or not I worry about the color of your skin at all

It matters little how many degrees we have or if we have none at all

But it really matters how much love I share and not what’s on my wall

It matters little how long it takes to walk to the end of my hall

But it really matters how often I share my riches with you and all

It matters little the image looking back from the mirror on the wall

But it really matters what I am when I hear the final call


May we all be constant in our effort of concentrating on putting on the spiritual image of our Lord and Savior and our Heavenly Father is my prayer for us this day.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY













No comments:

Post a Comment