Sunday, February 17, 2019

PEARLS WORTH SACRIFICE

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it. (Matthew 13: 45, 46)

My almost 80 year old brain does not allow me to declare it with absolute certainty, but as far as I can recall, I believe every time I taught these verses I always concentrated on the goodly pearl. As I was reviewing the books of Mosiah and Alma in preparation for writing this Thought for a Sabbath Day, I was struck with two insights: first, that the Lord uses the plural when speaking of pearls which should be sought. Second, that the value of a pearl might best be measured by the sacrifice we are willing to make in order to make it ours.

We read of Ammon and the 16 men who accompanied him who were willing to give up all to go in search of the Nephites who had returned to the land of Lehi-Nephi.

We read of the sons of the Prophet/King Mosiah, Ammon, Aaron and Omni who gave up the kingship to go among the Lamanites to try to persuade them to come unto Christ.

We read about the converts who were willing to die rather than break a covenant which resulted from the sacrifice of Mosiah’s sons.

We read about Alma the son of Alma who was willing to give up the Chief Judgeship to preach repentance unto the Nephites who had fallen from keeping their covenants.

Since I will be covering these and many more examples as I proceed with my bucket list task of writing Thoughts based on concepts The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ reveal, I will let these few examples demonstrate that Pearls of Great Price come in a large variety and usually are customized to us individually.

Thoughts from pondering upon pearls I have deemed worth making the necessary sacrifice in order to obtain.


Education – I first started my formal education in 1944 and didn’t finish until 1977. During this lengthy period of time there was a sacrifice of money, time, social experiences and a lot of sleep.

Career – As is the case with many of the pearls for which we search in life my career was more of a blessing than a sacrifice. There were times when others wondered why I hadn’t dedicated my life to a career which would have resulted in greater monetary blessings, but I always knew daily satisfaction in my work was of greater worth than mammon.

Activities – There are some pearls we don’t realize the price of until long after we have enjoyed them. I loved being involved in various kinds of athletic activities throughout most of my life, without realizing the sacrifice which would be required later in life because of the abuse I had rendered upon my physical body.

Marriage – Much like my career this pearl has returned many more blessings than any sacrifice which might be required. Forsaking all others is nothing compared to the all-consuming love of your one and only. Thinking of another’s needs before your own is filled with blessings much like casting your bread upon the waters. Working to sustain and support adds up to a life time of loving arms embracing you.

Family – Sleepless nights, worrisome days, sorrows are but a pittance of a payment for the pearls which come as your posterity grow and advance and bring grandchildren into your life.

Church membership – Obeying the commandments and keeping the covenants one makes are oft times viewed by the world as great prices to pay, but when the pearl of joy which accompanies living after the Plan of Happiness fills your days, all is well.

Church responsibilities – This has always been an interesting pearl for me since the price is always changing and one is never capable of counting the cost until the completion of a calling. I have found when I have truly dedicated all my might, mind and strength to magnifying the tasks the Lord has given me the privilege of undertaking, the resultant gains always far out measure the sacrifices.

Joy of feeling the Lord’s love – As I have read the words of King David, Martin Luther King, Justin Martyr along with countless others attempting to describe the precious pearl of feeling the love of the Lord come upon them I have often been left with the desire to be able to have and then describe that feeling myself. In my own life I am always left with the knowledge that I have indeed been blessed with a moment of His love having been poured out upon me, but the ability to impart the glory of those moments escapes me. However, I know that whatever price might be required for but another short experience will be worth any sacrifice.

Eternal Life – I have no way of comprehending the value of this pearl, but I have come to believe with all my being that the work my Father in Heaven requires of me to possess it has no end and therefore, the sacrifices which might be required of me likewise should have no end.

Now that you have an extra hour with the shortened Sunday Church Meeting schedule a great way to spend some of that hour might be to ponder upon the pearls you have sought and the sacrifices you have made to obtain them. I am sure that just as I have found, you likewise will find the value of the pearl far out weighs the sacrifice required.

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it. (Matthew 13: 45, 46)


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment