Sunday, May 19, 2019

ETERNAL HOPE 1

As I was reading in the 26th chapter of Mosiah seeking for inspiration for writing a Thought, I became clearly aware that my mind was rapidly jumping from one thought to another. I was also struck with the idea that it might be fun for me and hopefully interesting for those who read my Thoughts to go on that kind of random mind journey. Hopefully, you will not come to the conclusion that this journey was worthless and felt like we were wandering into unknown places.

1 Now it came to pass that there were many of the rising generation that could not understand the words of king Benjamin, being little children at the time he spake unto his people; and they did not believe the tradition of their fathers.

2 They did not believe what had been said concerning the resurrection of the dead, neither did they believe concerning the coming of Christ.

3 And now because of their unbelief they could not understand the word of God; and their hearts were hardened.


During the latter part of my life I have observed that there are very few of us today who have been blessed with faith who, without searching very far among family and friends, will soon find many who have a great deal of difficulty understanding and believing the words which we might have founded our lives upon.

It really doesn’t matter the reason why our loved ones have arrived at their condition of unbelief of those truths of which we have received witness from the Holy Spirit, it will still cause our hearts to suffer and our souls to be saddened.

We are also uplifted with the knowledge that love is strong and the Atonement of Jesus the Christ, His Mercy and Grace is eternal and the day will come when the scales fall from all our eyes and we shall see clearly and all shall know for themselves that Jesus is the Christ.

We are left with our belief that all who dwell on earth are children of Heavenly Parents and we have but one duty, which is to treat all with loving kindness.

5 And now in the reign of Mosiah they were not half so numerous as the people of God; but because of the dissensions among the brethren they became more numerous.

6 For it came to pass that they did deceive many with their flattering words, who were in the church, and did cause them to commit many sins; therefore it became expedient that those who committed sin, that were in the church, should be admonished by the church.


As we watch the daily increase of those who have doubts or completely deny the eternal beliefs we hold so dear, at times we are moved to bow our heads and weep and there are even times we sink into wondering if hope is lost. I have found much balm in the following account of Alma who was the head of the Church at the time when so many of the new generation of his day had stumbled into unbelief.

13 And now the spirit of Alma was again troubled; and he went and inquired of the Lord what he should do concerning this matter, for he feared that he should do wrong in the sight of God.

Have I sufficiently pleaded for the help of my Heavenly Father that I might be led and directed to know the words I should speak and how I should administer my love to them.

14 And it came to pass that after he had poured out his whole soul to God, the voice of the Lord came to him, saying:

15 Blessed art thou, Alma, and blessed are they who were baptized in the waters of Mormon. Thou art blessed because of thy exceeding faith in the words alone of my servant Abinadi.

16 And blessed are they because of their exceeding faith in the words alone which thou hast spoken unto them.

17 And blessed art thou because thou hast established a church among this people; and they shall be established, and they shall be my people.


Have I sufficiently recognized and counted the blessings which have been poured down upon me? Have I specifically recognized the blessing of having received a witness from the Holy Spirit concerning the truthfulness of the words of the scriptures and the living prophets?

18 Yea, blessed is this people who are willing to bear my name; for in my name shall they be called; and they are mine.

Although I may not see the fruits of my labor during this life as the prophet Alma did, my faith is sufficient to fill my being with the hope that during the eternities I will see my friends and family, who presently are unable to see clearly, have their doubts wiped from their minds and they will know.

19 And because thou hast inquired of me concerning the transgressor, thou art blessed.

20 Thou art my servant; and I covenant with thee that thou shalt have eternal life; and thou shalt serve me and go forth in my name, and shalt gather together my sheep.


If I understand the responsibility of being a disciple of the Lord Jesus the Christ correctly it is that I have been called to invite all to come unto Him, but the accountability for their choices remains with them. However, I would be remiss if I used this understanding as an excuse to withhold my testimony or my witness.

21 And he that will hear my voice shall be my sheep; and him shall ye receive into the church, and him will I also receive.

22 For behold, this is my church; whosoever is baptized shall be baptized unto repentance. And whomsoever ye receive shall believe in my name; and him will I freely forgive.


During my life I have made it a priority to come to know the vast gulfs which have, do and will exist among Heavenly Father’s children concerning their unequal opportunities to be invited to come unto the Savior. Also, since I have had the blessing and privilege of pronouncing the blessing of sealing upon generations of Heavenly Father’s children; it has left me with a strong testimony of the unitedness of the work which exists not only on the mortal side of the veil, but also on the eternal side of that veil.

Therefore, my heart swells with the truth in Paul’s testimony stating that if in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. (1 Corinthians 15:19

I know I must endure in my ministering with love unfeigned and hope unceasing in my meager efforts to persuade my friends and loved ones to come unto Jesus the Christ.

(To be continued)


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment