Sunday, May 12, 2019

ONE UNIVERSAL TRIBE

It had to have had something to do with the popularity of the word tribal in reference to all the ardent and rampant divisions in the world during the last part of the second decade of the 21st century. As I was reading chapter 25 in the book of Mosiah I was overwhelmed by the inability of humans to recognize the universal oneness of their tribal affiliation.

In this particular chapter a group known as Mulekites, who from that chapter forward would be numbered among the Nephites, even though they were the majority. As I read about this event my mind started to review how we who read the Book of Mormon, after it was translated by Joseph Smith, often refer to the peoples of the book as if they constantly consisted of Lamanites and Nephites, once the sons of Sariah and Lehi split apart.

Just a quick trip down memory lane reminds us of some of the tribal exchanges in The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ.

That the People of Zeniff after returning to the land of their original inheritance, intermingled with the Lamanites for three generations.

The Nephite priest’s of Noah took the daughters of the Lamanites as wives and became Lamanites.

Amulon and Amalakiah, who were born Nephites and had failed in their attempt to become Kings, took their respective Nephite followers and settled among the Lamanites.

The converts of the Sons of Mosiah II, Ammon, Omni, Aaron and Himni, were the means of helping a large contingent of Lamanites come unto Christ, who changed their lineage to Anti-Nephi-Lehi’s and joined the Nephite nation.

When Nephi and Lehi, the sons of Helaman II, were more successful in bringing Lamanites into the gospel fold than their countrymen the Nephites.

The people who were left after the destruction at the time of the crucifixion of the Savior were all called Nephites, but were a blended tribe of descendants of Lehi and Mulekites, which over the span of six centuries had borne many tribal names.


During my life, as genealogy has become the most popular hobby in many lands and the science of DNA has allowed us to identify our ancestors both through writing and spittle, we are finding we are all both mongrels and one.

The documented record of our ancestors identify that Kathleen and I and our posterity have direct lines where individuals were born in the following countries, which I list in no historical order, but just as they spring to mind. (United States, Canada, England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, France, Germany, Denmark, Italy, Israel, Mexico, Africa, South America and Switzerland)

I am certain that if or when our line is completed, going backward and forward in our search, we will discover members of our tribe in every nation, tongue and people.


Just as in The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ we are able to discover a common ancestor of all the peoples of the book, with the exception of those written of in the book of Ether, was father Jacob/Israel the son of Abraham whose posterity is said to be numerous as the sands of the seas, which we know today is spread worldwide.

One of the wonders of thought I have pondered is how science and religion have in common the quest to prove the oneness of the origin of humans. It is also interesting how the Restored Gospel in part ignores this puzzle by going one step further back and identifies the universal common tribe to be the one we all belonged to before being born into mortality.

There are two songs which have become the foundation of my belief in the one universal tribe of all.

I Am a Child of God (Naomi Ward Randall)

I am a child of God, and he has sent me here, has given me an earthly home, with parents kind and dear.

I am a child of God, and so my needs are great; help me to understand his words, before it grows too late.

I am a child of God, rich blessings are in store; if I but learn to do his will, I’ll live with him once more.

I am a child of God, his promises are sure; Celestial glory shall be mine, if I can but endure.

Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way, teach me all that I must do, to live with him someday.


He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (Bob Russell / Bobby Scott)

The road is long - With many a winding turn - That leads us to who knows where - Who knows where - But I'm strong - Strong enough to carry him - He ain't heavy - he's my brother

So on we go - His welfare is of my concern - No burden is he to bear - We'll get there - For I know - He would not encumber me - He ain't heavy - he's my brother

If I'm laden at all - I'm laden with sadness - That everyone's heart - Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another

It's a long, long road - From which there is no return - While we're on the way to there - Why not share

And the load - Doesn't weigh me down at all - He ain't heavy he's my brother

He's my brother - He ain't heavy - he's my brother - he ain't heavy


Of the many truths which are found in The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ, there is one that should sound a loud warning to we who are constantly bombarded with voices uttering divisive epitaphs, the end result of tribalism is always destruction.

Our hearts are cheered to read the promises of our Universal Heavenly Father, concerning a promised day of oneness which shall exist among his children, when they will be of one heart and one mind and the petty silliness of the preachers of tribalism will no longer cause mistrust, bigotry and hatred.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment