Sunday, June 23, 2019

AGENCY AND ITS CONSEQUENCES

Probably more times than I should admit, I have heard myself think and at times I have expressed out loud phrases such as: Agency isn’t always all it is cracked up to be, or, it would be good if there were a three strike rule for those who misuse Agency, or, consequences for making wrong choices should be immediate and memorable.

The objects of my thoughts and words about limiting the use and availability of Agency have included teachers, children, friends and most of all politicians. If I were being totally honest and were to completely bare my judgmental-ness I wouldn’t have any space left to take this Thought in a more positive and beneficial direction.

I don’t like to blame The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ for this confession of my personal weaknesses, but as I was reading chapters 1 -3 in the Book of Alma, my unrighteous conclusions concerning the gift of Agency came flooding over me.

No sooner had Mosiah instituted the system of judges among the Nephites in order to avoid the pitfalls which happen to nations which are ruled over by unrighteous kings, than many in the kingdom begin to take advantage of a law which kept the government from having power over what a person believed or what they expressed about their beliefs, even in cases where it was obvious lies were being perpetrated upon the people.

Just a quick review of some of those ‘Agency Misusers’ involved in these chapters might help you understand the magnitude of my frustration, but, hopefully, won’t convert you to being like those of us who would limit in some way further use of agency for those who constantly make wrong choices.

There were those who set out to establish priestcrafts among the people and have power over others. They were those who loved the vain things of the world and who taught false doctrines for the sake of power and honor.

There were those who would persecute others because they believed and acted differently.

There were those who perpetrated contention and affliction in order to gain the desires of their prideful hearts.

There were those who taught inequality claiming that the preacher was better than the hearer, the teacher was better than the learner, the weak were less because of the strength of others.

There were those who indulged themselves in sorceries, idolatry, idleness, babblings, envyings, persecutions, lying, thieving, robbing and whoredoms.

There were those who were consumed with the belief of the superiority of their own wisdom.

There were those who sought to destroy the Church of God.

There were those who justified war in order to gain control of others.

There were those who weakened the nation and opened it to being vulnerable because of their own selfish desires.

There were those who distinguished themselves by putting markings on their bodies so they could easily be identified as someone who had chosen a superior way.


I am sure most have already realized that I didn’t need to go to The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ to make a list like the preceding one. I could just as easily have made it from a current newspaper, magazine, the internet or any news broadcast. It seems that in the passing of 2300 years since Alma wrote his book we have made very little universal progress in using our God given Agency to make beneficial and correct choices.

There are two things we learn about the consequences of Agency: first, some will come as an immediate curse upon us and, second, that even though consequences may not come during our mortal lives they will be administered.

Alma 3: 19

Now I would that ye should see that they brought upon themselves the curse; and even so doth every man that is cursed bring upon himself his own condemnation.


Alma 3: 27

For every man receiveth wages of him whom he listeth to obey, and this according to the words of the spirit of prophecy; therefore let it be according to the truth. And thus endeth the fifth year of the reign of the judges.

Although I have as yet been unable to stop my thinking and commenting on how Agency is often wasted on those who either have no knowledge of the principle, or, having knowledge choose to take a chance on the evaporation of consequences, or just don’t believe in the principle. I have become better at applying what I understand about Agency and attending consequences mainly to myself and in fewer instances to others.

Along with my turtle pace progress in tempering my judgmental-ness I have also gained a tremendous belief in the impossibility of our mortal existence being any kind of a test if the Law of Agency were not part of the Eternal Plan of our Heavenly Father.

Therefore, I strongly encourage everyone to gain greater understanding of the laws, doctrines and principles Heavenly Father has given us through his Apostles and Prophets, learn of the immediate and eternal consequences which attend them and strive to make choices in accordance with the mind and will of God.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY



No comments:

Post a Comment