Sunday, June 2, 2019

WORDS OF LOVE

I don’t know when it was, but I know it was fairly early in my mortal existence I discovered that most peoples differences are as distinct as their fingerprints. I observed it not only in seeing the variety of likes and dislikes, but how their emotions were triggered by different things in different ways.
Naturally, the observance of the differences which existed between each of my friends led me to a periodic realization of the many ways in which I likewise differed from others.

The list of my peculiar nature is extensive, but includes such areas as being much more sensitive to the pain I imagined others were experiencing from a wound, a complete dislike of obnoxiously loud music and a definite preference for soft and soothing sounds, crying while watching movies whether they had a sad or happy ending. The difference which seemed to demonstrate the biggest gulf between what I was attracted to and which none of my friends could see any worth in was the election process with an added attraction to watching political conventions on our small black and white television.

As I have aged I have retained most of these personal uniqueness’s, and have come to realize additional ones. But sadly, I have lost my attraction to the election process and most especially my attentiveness to watching political conventions.

When as a young boy I first sat transfixed in front of our 12 inch television set, the party’s candidates had not been predetermined and the possibility of a surprise candidate added an aura of anticipation. The possible candidates gave wonderful speeches full of hope and ideas for progressing the ideals of Americanism.

The shift was subtle and took a few major elections, but the ‘experts’ gradually persuaded everyone running for office that negative campaigning about an opponent’s political positions was more effective than constructively communicating the candidate’s plans for instituting programs designed for the progress and benefit of the populous. Also by this time most of the mystery of who the political party’s candidate would be had long since been revealed.

We should have seen it coming, but for some reason we all seem a bit shocked that the ‘experts’ were able to convince candidates to take what seemed to be a short step from using campaign speeches based on speaking negatively about another persons political policies to what has become common in the 21st century. Going from mud slinging to character assassination, making critical and demeaning remarks about an opponent’s character, heritage, familys appearance, dress, manner of speech and any other distinctive feature which can be pointed out as negative, but had absolutely nothing to do with governance of a nation, state, county or city.

I am sure that this transformation of the political arena (a word which becomes more appropriate with each election) from one of civility to one of crudeness is the main reason I became a charter member of The Non Political Party Party (N3P). What else was I to do when the ‘expert’ had taken my youthful pleasure and pulverized it and transformed it into something putrid.

If you are wondering why my Sabbath Day Thought has turned into such a rant, I refer you to Chapter 27 of the book of Mosiah in The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ. In this chapter King Mosiah, who during his reign helped to institute a mini period of Zion among the Nephites, expresses some thoughts about how we should interact with one another regardless of circumstances or desires.

And there was a strict command throughout all the churches that there should be no persecutions among them, that there should be an equality among all men; That they should let no pride nor haughtiness disturb their peace; that every man should esteem his neighbor as himself, laboring with their own hands for their support. (Mosiah 27: 3, 4)

And the Lord said unto me: Marvel not that all mankind, yea, men and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters; And thus they become new creatures; and unless they do this, they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God. (Mosiah 27: 25, 26)

And how blessed are they! For they did publish peace; they did publish good tidings of good; and they did declare unto the people that the Lord reigneth. (Mosiah 27:37)


Ironically, Mosiah expresses his personal feelings about the equality of all, the elimination of pride and haughtiness, esteeming each other as neighbors, changing the ways of the world for the conditions which create a state of happiness, becoming new creatures and publishers of peace, at the same time his sons and the son of Alma are numbered among the unbelievers who desire to destroy the state of happiness his people are enjoying.

I should mention that one of the differences I noticed between myself and some of my friends was the dislike I had for sarcastic, demeaning, rude and uncouth remarks which they deemed to be a normal part of social exchange. It is small wonder that the non-civil political scene falls upon me as something repugnant and contrary to one who is a proponent of the non-critical, non-personal attack platforms of the (N3P) and more importantly of one who desires to be redeemed of God.

Tears of sadness because of the rebellion of the sons of Mosiah and the son of Alma turn to tears of joy as we read what Mosiah records in the last part of chapter 27 of his book regarding the mighty change which came upon them because of the intervention of an angel of the Lord.

24 For, said he, I have repented of my sins, and have been redeemed of the Lord; behold I am born of the Spirit.

28 Nevertheless, after wading through much tribulation, repenting nigh unto death, the Lord in mercy hath seen fit to snatch me out of an everlasting burning, and I am born of God.

29 My soul hath been redeemed from the gall of bitterness and bonds of iniquity. I was in the darkest abyss; but now I behold the marvelous light of God. My soul was racked with eternal torment; but I am snatched, and my soul is pained no more.

30 I rejected my Redeemer, and denied that which had been spoken of by our fathers; but now that they may foresee that he will come, and that he remembereth every creature of his creating, he will make himself manifest unto all.

32 And now it came to pass that Alma began from this time forward to teach the people, and those who were with Alma at the time the angel appeared unto them, traveling round about through all the land, publishing to all the people the things which they had heard and seen, and preaching the word of God in much tribulation, being greatly persecuted by those who were unbelievers, being smitten by many of them.

35 And they traveled throughout all the land of Zarahemla, and among all the people who were under the reign of king Mosiah, zealously striving to repair all the injuries which they had done to the church, confessing all their sins, and publishing all the things which they had seen, and explaining the prophecies and the scriptures to all who desired to hear them.

36 And thus they were instruments in the hands of God in bringing many to the knowledge of the truth, yea, to the knowledge of their Redeemer.


None of us should desire that we nor anyone else should have to endure the traumatic events which brought the son of Alma and the sons of Mosiah unto this marvelous change which drove their destructive desires from their beings and replaced them with souls which burned with the desire to become publishers of the development of peace, love, mercy and grace between all, and will be the key to equality among the children of God.

A most wonderful lesson which can be learned from this chapter is that we do not have to be destructive in our conversations, but can and should be constructive, civil and encouraging.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY




No comments:

Post a Comment