Sunday, August 18, 2019

BELIEVEST THOU THAT THERE IS A GOD

I have a friend, Paul Hansen, who after extensive study, used his engineering skills and with the aid of computers and a very expensive engraving machine was able to make and print a pretty authentic looking facsimile of the plates Moroni hid away in the Hill Cumorah. He came away with a greater testimony than most of the labor intensive effort which would have been required of Mormon and Moroni to engrave the abridged history of Lehi’s descendants on the gold plates which they had manufactured.

In the conversations I had with Paul when he was doing his personal laborious work of producing his set of simulated plates, I was left with the understanding of the dedication these ancient prophets had in engraving this marvelous record which has been the means of bringing countless thousands to remember their Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus the Christ.

The remembrance of these conversations has come to me on other occasions, but when I was rereading chapter 11 of the Book of Alma in The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ, with the desire to be inspired on what to write in this Thought, I was reminded that if we read these precious words with casualness we will often fall short of gaining life confirming messages.

A casual perusal of this chapter could cause us to think ‘that is interesting’ or ‘why did I need to know that’ or ‘this could have really been abridged to be one verse’. Never the less, we find Alma having written the words of his missionary companion Amulek and Mormon having engraved on gold plates, the preparation of which must have taken a good deal of time to mine and manufacture before he was able to put the reformed Egyptian symbols upon them informing us of a monetary system whose foundational value was on a measure of barley.

In verses 23 and 24 of the 11 chapter of the Book of Alma, Amulek drives the purpose of this treatise into our souls. With his monetary system lesson and his information about the wicked maneuverings of the lawyers of Ammonihah in order to fill their purses with Senums, Shums and Shiblons he boldly proclaims Knowest thou that the righteous yieldeth to no such temptations? Believest thou that there is a God? Nay, thou Knowest that there is a God, but thou lovest lucre more than him.

There is probably no way to accurately calculate the total number hours which Mormon and Moroni spent preparing the plates which Moroni eventually placed in the Hill Cumorah.

It would be difficult to measure the amount of sacrifice required of Alma, his wife and family for him to travel throughout the Land of the Nephites striving to bring lost sheep back to the Savior’s fold.

It would be impossible to measure the faith required of Nephi to begin building a ship and then to set forth upon the Many Waters not knowing what shore Lehi’s and Sarah’s descendants would be cast upon.


The reason such names as Ruth, David, Moses, Joseph and Mormon are revered and remembered by generations is not for their harvests, battles, laws, forgiveness nor dedication to saving a record for the welfare of future generations, but because we marvel at the firmness of their belief in God which motivated them to heroic dedication.

Believest thou that there is a God?

Yea Lord thou knowest I believe!

But, my gym membership cost many (limnah) and physical appearance and health are very important.

***

Believest thou that there is a God?

Yea Lord thou knowest I believe!

But, if I dedicate more hours to my career I will have many additional (leah) to help provide for the wants of my family.

***

Believest thou that there is a God?

Yea Lord thou knowest I believe!

But, I find little honor or glory within the walls of my home therefore it is worth the (esroms) to have additional platforms and stages where my true value can be appreciate.

***

And that’s a lot of measures of barley!


I have discovered during my life that one of my greatest talents was my ability to rationalize the personal agenda items of my desires into a position of prominence ahead of my belief in God.

As I read Amulek’s testimony to Zeezrom in the concluding verses of the chapter 11 of the Book of Mosiah, I am moved to once again evaluate the level of my commitment to my belief that there is a God and how it corresponds to my daily walk.

38 Now Zeezrom saith again unto him: Is the Son of God the very Eternal Father?

39 And Amulek said unto him: Yea, he is the very Eternal Father of heaven and of earth, and all things which in them are; he is the beginning and the end, the first and the last;

40 And he shall come into the world to redeem his people; and he shall take upon him the transgressions of those who believe on his name; and these are they that shall have eternal life, and salvation cometh to none else.

43 The spirit and the body shall be reunited again in its perfect form; both limb and joint shall be restored to its proper frame, even as we now are at this time; and we shall be brought to stand before God, knowing even as we know now, and have a bright recollection of all our guilt.


And Amulek left all he had and journeyed with Alma as his missionary companion.

We may never be required to totally consecrate our lives and forsake all of our wants, never the less, an evaluation as to the relative relationship of my belief in God and my daily activities is probably worthy of meaningful pondering.

YEA LORD THOU KNOWEST I BELIEVE


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

PEACE - JOY - LOVE - FAITH - HOPE - CHARITY = A GOOD LIFE



No comments:

Post a Comment