Sunday, September 22, 2019

HAPPINESS

I started preparing to write a Thought this morning by reading in The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ, Alma, chapters 14 and 15. These chapters contain Alma’s report of the final days of his mission and the events which transpired as he ministered with his companion Amulek in various cities of the Nephites.

As is usually the case when I read or hear the words of missionaries reporting on the wonderful changes which happen in the lives of Heavenly Father’s children when they become converted to living the principles of the Plan of Happiness, it wasn’t very long before my mind started to reflect on the personal journey I have been taking while attempting to inculcate the principles of the Plan of Happiness as part of my being.

When I was a child

I am not one of those who has the ability to recall in vivid detail the early years of mortality, but what I do remember of this period of my life is that my personal happiness was a paramount quest of every day.

As I reflect back my goal was probably the right one, but my understanding of what constituted happiness was very convoluted.

Happiness was: Having my wants and desires met by others quickly with no questions or discussion required.

Happiness was: Having a minimum of chores to do which left the majority of each day’s hours for my personal fun and adventure.

Happiness was: Eating what I liked and never having to worry about what it was doing to my body.

Happiness was: I will just conclude this section by saying that when I was a child, happiness was all about me!


When I was a teen

The events of my life during this period come to me in less of a fog and many of them I can still see with great clarity in my mind’s eye.

There is little doubt that I carried many of the thoughts about what constituted happiness from my child period of mortality into my teen period, but I also know that there were some additional understandings of what happiness is which began to enter into my evaluation of that state of being.

Happiness was also: A feeling I got when I could tell I had contributed to one of my family or friends having happy feelings.

Happiness was also: The way I felt when I was able to share or give even if my own wants had not yet been satisfied.

Happiness was also: Finding satisfaction when my father told me I had done a good job of mowing the lawn or weeding the flower beds. I am not sure if I ever felt this happiness when doing the dishes or vacuuming the carpets.

Happiness was also: Coming to the realization that real happiness only comes when it is a shared condition, happiness is really about us.


When I was maturing

During the last two teen years of my life two very significant events happened which abruptly altered the way I viewed what it meant to be happy. The first was the day after graduating from High School I was on a bus to Fort Ord, California, to spend six months doing basic army training, being trained as a clerk typist for the army and working as a clerk typist in a basic training unit. Upon returning home and after wasting a couple of semesters at Santa Ana Junior College, the second life altering event happened. I was called to be a full time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to serve in the Northern Mexico Mission.

During the first of these two life altering events of my life my understanding of happiness was altered in the following ways.

My understanding of happiness included: Having a regimented and scheduled, orderly life.

My understanding of happiness included: Knowing that rules and regulations are beneficial and can be life saving.

My understanding of happiness included: Knowing that there are many ways of being taught the lesson that following commands should be done expeditiously and immediately to the best of one’s ability.

My understanding of happiness included: Coming to understand that following commands and directions was a good thing, happiness is really about obedience.


During the Second of these two life altering events of my life my understanding of happiness was altered in the following ways.

My understanding of happiness included: The real beginning of my journey of having faith in Jesus Christ and that His gospel is the true pathway to happiness.

My understanding of happiness included: The depths of feelings which can come when your ministerings have aided a sister or brother in their own quest for happiness.

My understanding of happiness included: The wonders which accompany witnessing the changes and happiness which come to those who choose to follow Heavenly Father’s Plan.

My understanding of happiness included: The path that one is walking upon will ultimately be the determining factor in our degree of happiness, happiness is really about faith in the Lord Jesus the Christ.


As I have spent my days working and wearing out my body

Although, as I begin my ninth decade of life I am still going through the process of maturing. I also recognize that those post mission decades have included some other interesting shifts in my understandings of what constitutes the true state of happiness.

Eternal happiness comes because: You find the one who accepts your invitation to join in the work and in the process of changing me and thee into everlasting we.

Eternal happiness comes because: You are given the privilege of being appointed to labor in various corners of the Lord’s vineyard.

Eternal happiness comes because: The Lord opens the gates of laboring in many different types of ministries in His Kingdom.

Eternal happiness comes because: As you come to the understanding that since the body and the spirit have a symbiotic relationship, if you allow your body to occupy your efforts towards perfection you will be burdened with thoughts and actions of always trying to overcome some telestial failing.

Eternal happiness comes because: As you come to the understanding that since the spirit and the body have a symbiotic relationship, if you allow you spirit to occupy your efforts towards perfection you will be occupied with thoughts and actions of always trying to put on an attribute or characteristic of Godliness.

Eternal happiness comes because: Just as the Law of Moses was a school master to bring us unto Christ, overcoming the telestial yearnings of the body are but a prelude to desiring to become like your Heavenly Father.

Eternal happiness comes because: As the ancient Apostle John declared, God is Love. Therefore, our achieving everlasting happiness is dependent upon our becoming creatures of love..


I will not burden you with an account of all the reasons I was prompted to write this Thought for a Sabbath Day, but let it suffice me to say, that as I continue in my hobby of people watching I am struck with the view of the many paths we take trying to fulfill our desire to be happy, while ignoring the one path which has been plainly marked by our loving Savior Jesus the Christ.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

PEACE + JOY + LOVE + FAITH + HOPE + CHARITY = THE GOOD LIFE

No comments:

Post a Comment