Sunday, September 29, 2019

NEIGHBORS

In chapter 16 of the Book of Alma we read that the Lamanites invaded the lands of the Nephites, and either ironically or justifiably destroyed the city of Ammonihah. Ironic because of the commonality of beliefs the Lamanites shared with the peoples of Ammonihah and justified because the people of Ammonihah had thrown the converts to the truth among them into a fiery pit. Peace was quickly restored under the leadership of Zoram and Alma and Amulek were able to resume their mission.

And Alma and Amulek went forth preaching repentance to the people in their temples, and in their sanctuaries, and also in their synagogues, which were built after the manner of the Jews. And as many as would hear their words, unto them they did impart the word of God, without any respect of persons, continually.

And thus did Alma and Amulek go forth, and also many more who had been chosen for the work, to preach the word throughout all the land. And the establishment of the church became general throughout the land, in all the region round about, among all the people of the Nephites.

And there was no inequality among them; the Lord did pour out his Spirit on all the face of the land to prepare the minds of the children of men, or to prepare their hearts to receive the word which should be taught among them at the time of his coming—

That they might not be hardened against the word, that they might not be unbelieving, and go on to destruction, but that they might receive the word with joy, and as a branch be grafted into the true vine, that they might enter into the rest of the Lord their God.

Now those who did go forth among the people did preach against all lyings, and deceivings, and envyings, and strifes, and malice, and revilings, and stealing, robbing, plundering, murdering, committing adultery, and all manner of lasciviousness, crying that these things ought not so to be.


And now after the church had been established throughout all the land—having got the victory over the devil, and the word of God being preached in its purity in all the land, and the Lord pouring out his blessings upon the people—thus ended the fourteenth year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi.
(Alma 16: 13-18, 21)

While reading about the profound success Alma, Amulek and all the others who were called to preach unto the Nephites during those early years of the reign of the judges and their unbelievable success (even though it only lasted for a brief span of years), I was moved to ponder about how infrequently such profound results occur.

Because their missionary efforts resulted in the church being established throughout the land and blessings of the Lord being poured out upon the people, an evaluation of the message which Alma, Amulek and others preached in its purity unto the Nephites is definitely merited.

They were to preach repentance.

They were to preach without any respect of persons.

They taught that if there was no inequality among them the Spirit of the Lord would be poured out upon the face of the land.

They taught that the result of unbelief in the word would be destruction.

They taught that those who received the word with joy would enter into the rest of the Lord.

They taught about all the negative characteristics which needed to be eliminated from their daily walks.


During an earlier phase of my life I was able to enjoy a number of fascinating speeches at Brigham Young University. The speakers were not given any other indicators of what to speak on other than if this were to be their ‘Last Sermon’ what would they say.

My pondering upon the words of Alma and having been reminded of the wonderful messages I heard during those ‘Last Sermon’ lectures I was moved to wonder what my own last sermon might be. (I also immediately had the thought pass through my mind, I hope these will not be my last words).

A potential outlined of my ‘Last Sermon’:

Coming to understand that one of the major points of the Savior’s Good Samaritan parable was that we were not to put qualifiers upon who is our neighbor, but we were to become a neighbor after the manner of the Good Samaritan.

Jesus the Christ demonstrated the characteristic of the Good Samaritan neighbor through His Atonement which was lovingly ministered to all.

It will be through conversion to the universality of the kinship of mankind that we overcome the familial dysfunctions which plague the world.

We will only become converted to the universality of the kinship of mankind when we allow the Spirit of the Lord to awaken a remembrance of the days when we listened together at the feet of our Heavenly Father.

If I truly believe everyone is my brother and sister it will be easier for us to eliminate lying and deceiving from our relationships.

If I truly believe everyone is my brother and sister it will be easier for us to eliminate envying and prejudice from our relationships.

If I truly believe everyone is my brother and sister it will be easier for us to eliminate strife and criticism from our relationships.

If I truly believe everyone is my brother and sister it will be easier for us to eliminate malice and hatred from our relationships.

If I truly believe everyone is my brother and sister it will be easier for us to eliminate reviling and bearing false witness from our relationships.

If I truly believe everyone is my brother and sister it will be easier for us to eliminate lying and deceiving from our relationships.

If I truly believe everyone is my brother and sister it will be easier for us to eliminate stealing and robbing from our relationships.

If I truly believe everyone is my brother and sister it will be easier for us to eliminate plundering and murder from our relationships.

If I truly believe everyone is my brother and sister it will be easier for us to eliminate adultery and lasciviousness from our relationships.

If my relationships with my brothers and sisters are no longer plagued by these negative characteristics it will be easier for us to act peacefully with one another.

If my relationships with my brothers and sisters are no longer plagued by these negative characteristics it will be easier for us to act lovingly toward one another.

If my relationships with my brothers and sisters are no longer plagued by these negative characteristics it will be easier for us to universally minister to our neighbors.

My prayer this day and always is that we will all be moved to become the neighbor who understands the universal kinship of mankind and try to emulate the example of He who is the Good Samaritan neighbor to all.



THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

PEACE + JOY + LOVE + FAITH + HOPE + CHARITY = THE GOOD LIFE

No comments:

Post a Comment