Sunday, January 19, 2020

WITH THE VOICE OF AN ANGEL 3

The following two verses from Alma 29, The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ, should serve as a reminder of the Thoughts which we have been pondering during the previous two Sabbath Days, but if you need a greater jolt a quick review of those Thoughts should fill that void.

6 Now, seeing that I know these things, why should I desire more than to perform the work to which I have been called?

7 Why should I desire that I were an angel, that I could speak unto all the ends of the earth?


I have entered the two preceding verses hoping they will serve as a quick reminder of our discussion on Alma’s counsel about being content with the work we have been called to do, President Benson’s admonition to seek our Father’s appointed commission which we were to fulfill during mortality, Elder Maxwell’s counsel about seeking the guidance of the Holy Spirit as we pray in order that our prayers lead to life everlasting, and that Agency is variable according to the knowledge with which we have been blessed.

8 For behold, the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he seeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.

While teaching Institute of Religion classes on the subject of World Religions, a privilege I had numerous times during my teaching career, I was often struck with several puzzling dilemmas.

Why, when there are there so many tenets held in common among the religions of the world do the adherents within religious groups concentrate on the seeming differences found in their texts?

Why, when most religions teach of a singular just and loving deity, does the name by which that God was known in their native tongue seem to translate in their minds as a being completely different than the one worshiped by their neighbors?

Why, if there is but one source of truth were there any variances at all in the principles, doctrines and tenets of the world’s religions?

The beautiful verse quoted above has often put my mind at ease because it addresses the truth that there is but one Universal God of all mankind regardless of what name He is referred to by.

It explains why there would be doctrinal differences because in the wisdom of the Omniscient One he both gives and withholds truth based on the readiness of each group of His children to receive.

Sadly history reveals to us, when adherents within a religious sect seal the heavens and freeze the instructions of Deus to them, men seem to have the propensity to fill that void by adding their own precepts to the dogmas of their religions.

While reading this verse, I also receive a powerful addition to the strength of my testimony concerning the necessity of continual revelation. Since our lives are not stuck in a moment of time when one of Allah’s servants was living in such a way to receive the word of God and was inspired to write it down, it does not mean the changes which His children would encounter should not be accompanied by additional revealed instruction.


9 I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.


As Alma seems to come to the end of his ‘psalm like’ expressions of his desire to be ‘like an angel’ who could speak with the ‘trump of God’, he bestows beautiful counsel upon those who would receive in any degree a commission to be an instrument in the hands of God. I invite you to spend some moments pondering what Alma says about finding glory in being an instrument of God in bringing souls to repentance. I would also draw your attention, to the additional understanding he highlights concerning a few important principles.

The original meaning for the principle of repentance is to ‘prepare to meet God’ which indeed includes the forsaking of the things of the world which contaminate our souls and paying proper penitence, but importantly also includes beginning and continuing the process of putting on the attributes, characteristic and perfections of our Heavenly Parents.

While he uses the word glory in this passage, it takes only a brief moment of pondering to realize he has given us greater understanding to the principle of humility. The telestial mortal man is driven with the desire for honor and praise and in this quest often tries to convince himself and others that he is all superior. In this insightful verse Alma reminds us that all glory which is to be given in the work of God is to be given to Him whose work it is. Therein rests the very key to the meaning of humility for a disciple, in that we forever in all things recognize our ‘relative nothingness’ relationship to our Heavenly Parents.

We are also reminded in these verses of the marvelous gift which comes to a commissioned messenger of God. That being the emotion of JOY, which has been revealed to us to be that soul drenching feeling which comes to one when the gulf between themselves and God narrows a bit and they, at least momentarily, feel the showering of his love upon them.


10 And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me.

13 Yea, and that same God did establish his church among them; yea, and that same God hath called me by a holy calling, to preach the word unto this people, and hath given me much success, in the which my joy is full.

14 But I do not joy in my own success alone, but my joy is more full because of the success of my brethren, who have been up to the land of Nephi.

15 Behold, they have labored exceedingly, and have brought forth much fruit; and how great shall be their reward!

16 Now, when I think of the success of these my brethren my soul is carried away, even to the separation of it from the body, as it were, so great is my joy. Amen.


Sadly, the callings and commissions which we receive in life at times bring with them feelings of heaviness and remind us all too powerfully of our own weaknesses. In all sincerity I add my desire that on those days when clouds begin to obscure our vision and we seem to be losing strength, rereading this marvelous chapter of Alma will be uplifting and sustaining and will give us the will to go forth in the work of the Lord.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

❣️THINK + PLAN + PREPARE + DO + HUGS + PEACE + JOY + LOVE + INTEGRITY + FAITH + HOPE + CHARITY = THE GOOD LIFE❣️

No comments:

Post a Comment