Sunday, May 3, 2020

ALMA’S BLESSINGS TO HIS SONS (HELAMAN) 3

As I started this continuation of Alma’s blessing to his son Helaman the remembrance came into my mind of one of the ongoing projects Kathleen does as she searches the scriptures. She has made an extensive list of the commandments she finds during her reading. This remembrance caused me to think of a decision I made many years ago that I was going to concentrate my efforts in striving to do the things God has commanded us to do rather than focusing on the things He has commanded us not to do. I think this decision is a result of my being stimulated by positiveness and turned off by negativism.

In verses 13 – 32 of chapter 37 of his book, Alma the Son of Alma, speaks about the extreme results of following either the path of ‘do’ commandments or the path of ‘don’t do’ commandments. If I understand the scriptures correctly from the teachings of Alma to His son Helaman, following the ‘do’ path blesses Heavenly Father’s children with the opportunity of participation in the bringing to light and the fulfilling of His work and glory during mortality, while falling into the ‘don’t do’ pits of life leads away from destruction and damnation. It seems to me, being on the ‘do’ path results in moving closer to God while being on the ‘don’t do’ path puts us at the beginning of the ‘do’ path. Therefore, it seems to be a wise decision just to concentrate on traveling the ‘do’ path.

Lest I be accused of having my vision altered because of having viewed too many glasses half full, I quickly add that I do understand there are times in all of our lives when we have to eliminate ‘don’t do’s’ before we can see clearly the ‘do’s’ we have been commanded to accomplish.

From the book of Proverbs chapter 23 verse 7 which should be correctly subtitled, Proverbs of Solomon which the men of Hezekiah king of Judah copied, we read As a man thinketh in his heart, so is He. It was not much of a stretch for my wee little brain to conclude that if I think of the ‘do’ commandments that is what I would be becoming and sadly for me, if I concentrate on the ‘don’t do’ commandments my thoughts often end up with me in a bit of a pit.

In these verses, Alma uses his participation in keeping the records as an example of the blessings and opportunities given to those who follow the ‘do’ path and from the record of the Jaredites found on the twenty-four plates he sites an example of the fate of those who fall into the deepest of pits because they are always involved with the ‘don’t do’s’.

As an aside I want to point out in these verses we are introduced to those who join together in Secret Combinations to get gain and the control over others, which seems to be the deepest ‘don’t do’ pit mankind is capable of falling into.

In verses 33 – 37 of Chapter 37, we find an extensive list of the ‘do’ commandments which I will emphasize in bold as an example of what I consider to be the more desirable journey towards fulfilling the mortal part of our Eternal Journey. The careful reader will recognize that I have chosen to ignore the few ‘don’t do’s’ found in these verses.

33 Preach unto them repentance, and faith on the Lord Jesus Christ; teach them to humble themselves and to be meek and lowly in heart; teach them to withstand every temptation of the devil, with their faith on the Lord Jesus Christ.

34 Teach them to never be weary of good works, but to be meek and lowly in heart; for such shall find rest to their souls.

35 O, remember, my son, and learn wisdom in thy youth; yea, learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God.

36 Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.

37 Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.


From these verses along with others of their persuasion I am able to conclude that concentrating on the ‘do’ commandments should occupy the hours of our days to such an extent that we have little time to worry about falling into the pits signaled by the ‘don’t do’ commandments.

I think it is also important to note that Alma emphasizes that the keeping of the commandments (the don’t do’s) should be done in our youth and as quickly as possible. I believe he gives us this counsel so that we understand the majority of our lives should be spent striving to live the ‘do’ commandments.

If you didn’t ponder the blessings which are promised to those who faithfully ‘do’ those things taught by Alma I would encourage a re-read.

In verses 38 – 47 of chapter 37, Alma reminds his son Helaman about the ball or director (Liahona) which led Lehi and his family trough the wilderness to the Land Bountiful.

As we read these verses we are reminded that it is by small things that the great works of God are bought to pass. Such as: Though our faith be as the grain of a mustard seed, it is possible for us to do marvelous works. Through our faith we can be led on a direct path. Through faith we can be led in things temporal as well as spiritual. Heeding the word of Christ points to a strait course leading to eternal bliss. The way is prepared, if we but look, to lead us unto Life Eternal.

I strongly believe, whether we find it easier to follow the path of ‘do’ commandments or the path of ‘don’t do’ commandments we will never walk alone for He is with us always!


THOUGTHS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

❣️THINK + PLAN + PREPARE + DO + HUGS + PEACE + JOY + LOVE + INTEGRITY + FAITH + HOPE + CHARITY❣️ = 💞THE GOOD LIFE💞

No comments:

Post a Comment