Sunday, October 28, 2018

PROPHECY FULFILLED

I am often impressed with the marvelous capabilities of our minds, such as those times when mine suddenly brings up remembrances which happened decades ago. As I was reviewing Nephi’s continued teachings to his people, as guided by a revelatory experience which accompanied his reading from the words of Isaiah, with the aid of what seems to be unlimited vision I was once again able to see in great detail the little white house with the beautiful red flamboyant tree which draped over the entire roof.

I was once again sitting in the chapel area of the little house, which served not only as our living quarters, but also was where we held the meetings for the small branch in Ciudad Valles, San Luis Potosi, Mexico. Since in those days of antiquity in the latter part of 1958 there was no such thing as a language training facility in the missionary system of the Church, I arrived in Mexico with the Spanish I had gained while barely passing Spanish I and II at Garden Grove Union High School. I suspect my abilities were above the taco and burrito level, but not by much.

As I would sit with the primary children of the branch, which were mostly from the Martinez family, I would point at the light and they would say luz. I would point at the chairs and they would say silla. I would point at the table and they would say mesa. When I was walking through the streets of the town I would continue to point and Elder Davis my senior companion/trainer would say arbol, barco, caballo.

In this way I learned a lot of the names of objects, but my main beginnings of being able to communicate came from two sources. I listened intently as my companion would speak and give lessons and try to pick up some meaning as those he was teaching spewed out their replies at the speed of light. However, the main source of my learning Spanish resulted from a daily exercise where Elder Davis would read a passage in the Book of Mormon in English and then I would read the same passage in Spanish. I will probably never know for sure whether it was the prayers which we offered as we were involved in this task or the task itself, but whichever it was, as we drew close to finishing the Book of Mormon I was beginning to communicate in Spanish and my testimony of the Book of Mormon had increased dramatically.

The reason I was thrust back into those memorable days when I was about to leave the era of being a teen, is that I have witnessed the words Nephi is teaching his people in chapters 29 and 30 of Second Nephi being dramatically fulfilled during the 60 years which have sped by since those pointing and learning days in that little house with the beautiful red flamboyant tree draping over the roof.

In those so well remembered days, there were just over 1 ½ million members in the Church and in Mexico they had just divided the Mexican Mission into two missions. One serving the southern part of Mexico and one the northern part of Mexico which were presided over by two brothers Joseph and Israel Bentley. As I write this Thought in 2018 the Church has grown to have a membership of over 16 million and in Mexico there are now 34 missions.

Nephi spoke of people rejecting the Book of Mormon because they were already in possession of books of scripture. He spoke of peoples from all nations coming to Christ and becoming covenant people. He told of nations being gathered in preparation for the Second Coming of the Savior and the day when Satan would no longer have power over the hearts of men. But the verses in these chapters which have made the most profound impact on my life are 7 and 8 of Second Nephi chapter 29.

Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?

Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.


And just like that, my mind takes me back to the many times I had the privilege of teaching classes on the Religions of the World. Almost every time I watch Jeopardy I am reminded of how many details of the world’s religions I no longer remember, but reading these two verses quickly reminds me of the imprinting upon my mind of how many important and fundamental beliefs are shared by the religions of the world. I have come to the firm conviction that regardless of what words our native tongue uses to speak the name of God, we are all speaking of the same being.

There are several possibilities which exist when we read Nephi’s words of God having spoken to all nations and to all the children of men. Either God hasn’t really kept track of His doings, Nephi misunderstood the revelation he had received, or Heavenly Father has indeed spoken to all His children and their testimonies are all important for us to help us gain greater understanding of the workings of Heavenly Father with His children.

In chapter 30 of Second Nephi, Nephi teaches of a day when the truths which have been given by God to all nations will have been bent by the philosophies of men and the true restored gospel would be sent forth among his descendants, declared unto the remnants of the Jews (House of Israel) and preached unto the gentiles.

8 And it shall come to pass that the Lord God shall commence his work among all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, to bring about the restoration of his people upon the earth.

Although 60 years of spectacular growth have taken place since I suffered through those cold showers in the little white house in Ciudad Villas, Mexico, when I compare the growth of the Church in its first 180 years to the population of the world it adds up to but a pittance, but as the living Prophet of the Lord, Russell M. Nelson, recently reminded us, since the gathering is taking place on both sides of the veil, we quickly become aware of the billions who are being prepared to accept their ordinances which are being performed in the 159 operating Houses of the Lord.

There goes my long term memory again back to 1958 when there were only two Stake Centers in all of Mexico and now it is a country with 13 Temples and more than a thousand Stake Centers.

I will be looking at the world from a much different vantage point in the year 2078, but I am very sure the stone seen by Daniel which was cut out of a mountain and would roll forth until it filled the whole earth will have multiplied significantly.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment