Sunday, October 14, 2018

SACRED SOILS OF SOULS

Second Nephi 26 – Nephi continues to teach us his broadened understanding as he studied the words of Isaiah

One of the blessings I received when I retired from full time employment and teaching in the Church Education System was that I was able to continue to teach for another five years. This additional five years was such a personally rewarding experience spent with students who attended with no ulterior motive other than wanting to participate in studying the Word. If I could have been in total control of things I would have extended this opportunity another decade or so. But alas, my body had other plans and it soon became apparent that my blessing was only going to have a duration of those five short years.

One of the reasons these years were so special is that for the first time in my life I was able to choose my own curriculum and develop my own course outlines and lessons. I had felt it to some degree, but now more powerfully than ever I was struck with the awesome responsibility one takes on when they embark on treading in the sacred soils of souls.

Another reason these hours spent studying and teaching were so wonderful is that in a small way I was having an experience not unlike what I imagine Nephi had, as he studied the words of Isaiah and then likened them unto his people. As I created lesson outlines from the words of ancient and living prophets, I had the joy of receiving an understanding of how their words should be presented to those participating with me during those wonderful windup years of being in the classroom, and the precepts which should be stressed to those who were treading through the trials of a technological era.

A third reason and the one which ties this introduction into Nephi’s words in Chapter 26 of Second Nephi is he gives us caution and encouragement when we attempt to teach. His words seem to me to be a pleading to those who find themselves entering into the sacred soils of souls that they always remember whose work it is and what pitfalls can befall one who has this opportunity.

8 But behold, the righteous that hearken unto the words of the prophets, and destroy them not, but look forward unto Christ with steadfastness…


I do not in any way labor under the misconception that having had the opportunity of teaching four to six hours a day, five to seven days a week for fifty plus years, I would be found guiltless of having destroyed the words of the Prophets. I also read in these words of Nephi that he is not only talking about destroying the words, but also giving caution about destroying those who might hear you talk about the word. Likewise, I have no doubt and am grateful that the law of repentance applies to our faltering ways as we attempt to teach by hearkening and striving not to destroy the words of the prophets.

11 For the Spirit of the Lord will not always strive with man. And when the Spirit ceaseth to strive with man then cometh speedy destruction, and this grieveth my soul.

Although the mercy and grace of the Lord are everlasting, universal and unceasing, never the less, as we attempt to teach his word it would be wise not to continue destructive methods and concentrate on being sensitive to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit that our souls be not grieved.

12 And as I spake concerning the convincing of the Jews, that Jesus is the very Christ, it must needs be that the Gentiles be convinced also that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God …

Nephi reminds that the ultimate purpose of all our efforts as we teach the word is to convince all of Heavenly Father’s children that Jesus is the very Christ. How often do we find ourselves diverted into teaching in other arenas which in no way fulfill the commission given to Publishers of Peace? Sadly, we may even fall into the trap of adorning ourselves with capes in an attempt to aggrandize our personal visage.

15. … yet the words of the righteous shall be written, and the prayers of the faithful shall be heard, and all those who have dwindled in unbelief shall not be forgotten.

16 For those who shall be destroyed shall speak unto them out of the ground, and their speech shall be low out of the dust, and their voice shall be as one that hath a familiar spirit; for the Lord God will give unto him power, that he may whisper concerning them, even as it were out of the ground; and their speech shall whisper out of the dust.

17 For thus saith the Lord God: They shall write the things which shall be done among them, and they shall be written and sealed up in a book, and those who have dwindled in unbelief shall not have them, for they seek to destroy the things of God.


As my body took command of the amount of time I was able to stand, I became aware of a trio of blessings; First, that I was taught by a capable mentor and able to learn and apply some fundamental aptitude on the computer; Second, that the five years I spent writing my own lesson outlines caused all lingering fears from my High School red streaked essays to evaporate; Third, having Kathleen at my side to edit my words and even correct the autocorrect on the computer programs. I am not so delusional as to think that my written words will come forth from the dust to bless future generations, but I have bestowed them upon my immediate progeny and until Amazon blows them away they will be accessible. The very thought of not having the words of ancient and modern prophets to guide my personally being convinced that Jesus is the very Christ, causes a shiver to go down my spine.

20 And the Gentiles are lifted up in the pride of their eyes, and have stumbled, because of the greatness of their stumbling block, that they have built up many churches; nevertheless, they put down the power and miracles of God, and preach up unto themselves their own wisdom and their own learning, that they may get gain and grind upon the face of the poor.

29 He commandeth that there shall be no priestcrafts; for, behold, priestcrafts are that men preach and set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion.

31 But the laborer in Zion shall labor for Zion; for if they labor for money they shall perish.


Plain enough!!

24 He doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world; for he loveth the world, even that he layeth down his own life that he may draw all men unto him. Wherefore, he commandeth none that they shall not partake of his salvation.

25 Behold, doth he cry unto any, saying: Depart from me? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; but he saith: Come unto me all ye ends of the earth, buy milk and honey, without money and without price.


In a day when it has become a popular pursuit of many to decry the atrocities perpetuated upon the world in the name of religion, while ignoring the charity which has been done because hearts were turned to God, we are reminded of the commission to help all to understand the universal Atoning act of the Savior. It is ironic that we live in a day when there are so many who are dedicated to spewing words which are divisive and destructive, that we also find so many who turn their backs on the very teachings which would help us overcome our differences.

33 … for he doeth that which is good among the children of men; and he doeth nothing save it be plain unto the children of men; and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile.

It becomes clear as we finish this reminder of our responsibility to be about the business of convincing others that Jesus is the very Christ, we will only be able to be as effective in our efforts as our prejudices allow us to be. Therefore, if we have any ill feelings toward any one, for any reason, our ability to effectively encourage them on their quest will be diminished.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment